Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Busy like me

Like most people I chat to these days, when we say "how are you" it's not uncommon to hear "we've been busy" or "I've got so much on at the moment".

Philip Mutzelberg of Heritage Church in Ipswich once said, "we wear busyness on our sleeve like a badge - because often it makes us feel important". How true it is.

Everytime I hear myself saying how busy I am, Philip's words ring in my ears. Do I think this makes me sound important?

This morning I read Proverbs 21:2 "We justify our actions by appearances; God examines our motives" (MSG)

The bottom line is this - are we busy doing stuff, or are we busy fulfilling God's plans and purposes for our life?

Why are we doing what we do?

This self-examination is an extension of the 'shallow soil'.

Lately, I have been so challenged with letting God really grab a hold of my spirit, not just me doing the right things like a religion. I am so challenged at the moment by the impact I see people make when they're God-powered rather than agenda-fulfilling.

I'm singing songs like, "Consuming fire, fan into flame passion for your name" (Tim Hughes) and

"Open our eyes, To see the things that make Your heart cry, To be the church that You would desire, Your light to be seen." (With everything - Hillsong This is Our God) and

"Take my moments and my days, Let each breath that I take, Be ever only for You oh God. My whole life is Yours, I give it all Surrendered to Your Name And forever I will pray Have Your way" (Arms Open Wide - Hillsong United 2009)

It's not about what I do. It's about why I do it. Am I busy because I'm burned up inside by God, or am I busy padding out my schedule to fulfil agendas.

"We justify our actions by appearances; God examines our motives"

No comments: