Monday, February 2, 2009

Align your perspective of wealth with the Bible – Perspectives 3 and 4

3. Money will NOT bring me contentment and peace.

“Things will be better when.. “ Do you find yourself thinking that?

This is the statement of someone who is not content.

"When I finish school, when I get to retire, when I pay off my mortgage, when I get that payrise.."

This is another example of the lie that says you need just a little more.. Be content where you are

Contentment is independent of external circumstances. (Thayer Definition)

Easton says Contentment is "A state of mind in which one's desires are confined to his lot whatever it may be (1Ti_6:6; 2Co_9:8). It is opposed to envy (Jam_3:16), avarice (Heb_13:5), ambition (Pro_13:10), anxiety (Mat_6:25, Mat_6:34), and repining (1Co_10:10). It arises from the inward disposition, and is the offspring of humility"

Quickest way to rob your contentment is spend your time looking at what others have, or reading those junk mail catalogues in the mail.

A lack of contentment leads to irresponsible spending.

Here is what Ecc says:
Ecc 4:4 "Then I saw that all painful effort in labor and all skill in work comes from man's rivalry with his neighbor. This is also vanity, a vain striving after the wind and a feeding on it."

The global credit crisis that we’re facing at the moment started with US financiers lending amounts that were more than people could repay.. to fund a lifestyle that those people couldn’t afford.

It doesn’t matter how often you have the latest of everything, or keep up with the jones’.. the temporary feeling of elation does not last. If your self esteem if fuelled by finances or the latest gadgets, you are on a path of poverty.

Paul learned to be content. Php 4:11 "Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am."

He who dies with the most toys doesn’t win! He who invests most in the Kingdom of God wins.


4. Money is NOT just for me

Our view can become that having wealth is an end it itself.. that is, that having wealth is the goal. No! Having wealth is a means to an end..

The money isn’t just for us.. We are blessed to be a blessing.

Yesterday, the Courier Mail reported on the new Igeneration, coming in after generation Y.. and one of the predictions was that the Igeneration will be less accepting of religion. Friends, we need to get chaplains in our school...not just working part time on a minimum salary. We need to invest in youth programs, and children's outreach!

Mat 9:37 "So he said to his disciples, "The harvest is large, but there are few workers to gather it in. 38 Pray to the owner of the harvest that he will send out workers to gather in his harvest."

We need to send out workers in our schools, in our communities.

Another example of money not just being for us is in Matthew 25:35 “I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, 36 I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.'..."40 Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me--you did it to me.'"

There is on obligation on us to feed the hungry.. there is a charge on us to look after the disadvantaged.

God doesn’t want to just give to you.. He wants to give through you – so we can change the world!

No comments: