Friday, January 16, 2009

Find The Best, not the Worst

One of the things that I get most disappointed about myself is when I buy into a lie straight from the devil. At the time, I don't realise I'm get taken for a ride, until afterwards and I realise I was a doofus!

These lies include statements such as, "what if you and Bevan lose your job? that's going to be horrible!" or "they're all leaving you behind - you're being left out" or "that's not the way you'd do it - I'm sure you'd do a better job" or "You're such an idiot.. how embarrassing are you!"

All these things do nothing but steal, kill and destroy my peace, my contentment and my focus on the goal.. and they're all LIES. They take God off the throne, and are void of my faith that says, "God has a plan and purpose for me" and "God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in glory", and "I am fearfully and wonderfully made"

One of the worst attitudes that flows from buying into these lies is negativity, condemnation and judgment. Big words.. but a bigger problem.

Joyce Meyer says it takes no effort at all to find the negative in someone, or something. We effortlessly find the negatives in our job. We effortlessly find the negatives in the people around us - our spouses, our leaders, our parents!

Our insecurities mix with the lies being fed to us, and we find ourselves picking faults with others because it makes us feel (temporarily) better, yet it is the opposite of the fruits of the spirit. Criticism is the opposite of love, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, self control and humility.

Here's what the bible says about judging others:

James 4:11 "My friends, don't say cruel things about others! If you do, or if you condemn others, you are condemning God's Law. And if you condemn the Law, you put yourself above the Law and refuse to obey either it 12 or God who gave it. God is our judge, and he can save or destroy us. What right do you have to condemn anyone? "

Romans 14:13 "Then let us no more criticize and blame and pass judgment on one another, but rather decide and endeavor never to put a stumbling block or an obstacle or a hindrance in the way of a brother. "

Rom 14:10 "So where does that leave you when you criticize a brother? And where does that leave you when you condescend to a sister? I'd say it leaves you looking pretty silly--or worse. Eventually, we're all going to end up kneeling side by side in the place of judgment, facing God. Your critical and condescending ways aren't going to improve your position there one bit. "

Looking at others with a critical eye doesn't benefit us one bit, but it is poison to the unity of any organisation we're a part of - be it the church; our workplace or our families.

Instead, we need to:

"Let this same attitude and purpose and [humble] mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus: [Let Him be your example in humility:] " Php 2:5

Philippians 4:8 "Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious--the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. pan>"

Last night God challenged me. Everytime I catch myself with a negative thought about someone or something, I am to respond by finding 2 positive things. For every thought that focusses on the 'Worst', I am now challenged to find 2 thoughts that focus on the 'Best'.

This is my way of "doing my best" to fill my mind on the best, not the worst.

No comments: